The 41st Annual WSI Juried Exhibit at Newfields/Indianapolis Museum of Art 4000 N. Michigan Rd., Indianapolis, IN 46208
August 4, 2023 - September 30, 2023
Deadline to enter is May 5, 2023
This year's juror is Karen Knutson. Karen won the Silver Award at the American Watercolor Society 2023 Exhibition. She is a signature member of Transparent Watercolor Society of America, (formerly known as Midwest Watercolor Society), San Diego Watercolor Society, Red River Watercolor Society, the Montana Watercolor Society, and the Northern Plains Watercolor Society, the Minnesota Watercolor Society, NorthStar Watermedia Society, and Missouri Watercolor Society.
The images of each entry are sent digitally to the juror. She will choose 45 paintings to display in the exhibit. In July when she is in Indy, she will choose her top 10 picks for awards. WSI's goal is to meet last year's total prize money of $9000.
Please be sure to read the entire Prospectus Rules for Entry as it is updated every year. Specifically, under Painting Rules #7 for accepted medium: A minimum of 80% of the painting must have been executed with traditional watercolor paints; and #13 for hanger: Strap hangers are required, and the hanging wire is optional.
Each member may submit up to 2 paintings. Entry Fee $35 for one entry. $45 for two entries. Download Juried Exhibit Prospectus Here. Register online or print and mail entry form from the prospectus with USB drive.
This Exhibit is open only to WSI members who have paid their 2023 membership fee. If you have not paid your 2023 membership fee or wish to Join WSI pay online at Join WSI -OR- Mail payment with membership form to the WSI Office.2023 JURIED EXHIBITION CALENDAR
May 5, Friday at 5:00 pm: Deadline for receipt of mailed entries with flash drives at the WSI Office. Midnight for online entries through the WSI website.
May 13, Saturday: Images of all entries will be exhibited in a video at the Membership Luncheon, 12:00 pm at Second Presbyterian Church. Tickets are required for the luncheon and will be available through the WSI Website.
June 5, Monday: Acceptance Notifications and Non-acceptance Notifications emailed to entrants.
June 12 – 30: Selected paintings must be delivered to WSI office between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
July 21, Friday: Final award selection by juror, Karen Knutson.
July 22, Saturday: Karen Knutson Painting Demonstration at 1:00 pm at Second Presbyterian Church. Free for current WSI members. $10 tickets for non-members.
August 4 – September 30: Exhibition open to the public at Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields.
August 6, Sunday:
Opening Reception and Awards Ceremony at Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields, DeBoest Lecture Hall beginning at 2:00 pm.
October 1, Sunday: Pick up paintings at Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields, 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm. No paintings will be released before 1:00 pm on October 1.
All entries are to be submitted with the understanding that accepted work may be photographed or videotaped for educational and/or publicity purposes. All accepted images will be included on the WSI website and social media.
TO ENTER AND PAY
Register Online At -OR- Mail Payment, Images on a USB Flash Drive labeled with the artist’s name. and Entry Form to WSI Office. No DVD's.
- Digital file must be in JPG format. The image resolution must be at least 300 dpi.
- No digital enhancement is allowed.
- The image must be oriented correctly. (Vertical or Horizontal)
- Crop the image to exclude the mat and frame.
- Save the image with your name, entry (“A” or “B”), 2023 and the painting title. Example: Smith_John_A_2023_Flower.jpg.
- Entry form and payment, online or through the mail, must be received before the digital images will be processed.
RULES (Please read carefully as some changes have been made this year.)
1. The Juried Show competition is open to current and former residents of the State of Indiana. You must be a current member of the Watercolor Society of Indiana.
2. Artists may submit one or two paintings. If an artist enters two paintings, only one painting can be selected by the juror for the exhibition.
3. No triptychs or diptychs will be accepted.
4. All entries must be the original concept and execution of the artist. No copies of paintings or published photographs will be accepted.
5. No work produced in class or under the tutelage of an instructor will be accepted.
6. No work previously exhibited in ANY JURIED SHOW in Indiana will be accepted. This includes competitions such as the Indiana State Fair, SALI, IAC, IHA, or Hoosier Salon.· Gouache
· Graphite (pencil or charcoal)
· Acrylic Paint (thinned and painted using traditional watercolor techniques)
· Colored Ink
· Watercolor Pencil (wetted)
7. A minimum of 80% of the painting must have been executed with traditional watercolor paints. Other media, listed below, may be used only to enhance, or embellish the watercolor and cannot exceed 20% of the painting. Collage is acceptable but all elements must be painted by the artist in 80% traditional watercolor paints – no preprinted or computer-generated images. Other media allowed up to 20% of the painting:
Media other than those listed above are not permitted to be a part of the painting.
8. The painting must be executed on a 2-dimensional surface composed of paper with no impasto effects. Yupo paper is acceptable.
9. No printed image may be a part of the painting.
10. No digital artwork or photography will be permitted.
11. The size limitation is 42” x 36” in any direction, including the frame. No exceptions per Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields rules.
12. All work must be matted and framed under glass or acrylic sheet (plexiglass). Acrylic sheet is strongly preferred for all artwork and is required if metal frames are used. Note: Acrylic sheet will be required in all WSI Juried Shows beginning in 2024. A simple gallery-quality frame with a white or neutral mat is strongly recommended. We recommend that the mat be at least 3 inches wide (4 inches wide on larger paintings).
13. Strap hangers are required, and the hanging wire is optional. Sawtooth hangers will not be accepted. The frame must have a strap hanger attached with screws on the back side of each vertical piece of the frame located between 1/3 and 1/4 of the length of the piece from the top of the frame. (See Illustration attached.)
14. Titles and prices will be listed as they appear on the entry forms. No changes will be made after entry forms are received.
15. No further work can be done on a painting once it is accepted. The painting will not be accepted if it is different from the original image submitted.
16. Each accepted painting must have a completed WSI Juried Exhibit 2023 Painting Tag (see last page) attached to the back of the painting when it is delivered.
17. If someone other than you or your area representative will be picking up your painting at the end of the show, you must email the WSI Executive Director with the name of the designated individual. ID may be required upon painting pickup. Note that there will be a $45 charge for any painting not picked up by 3:00 pm October 1 by either the artist, the Area Representative or the individual designated to the WSI Executive Director. Paintings may be claimed at the WSI office when the $45 fee is paid. Unclaimed paintings become the property of WSI 60 Days after the pickup date of the exhibit.
WSI will award as many cash awards as the 2023 Awards Fund will support.
All paintings for sale will be posted and sold online through the WSI Website Online Store. Newfields will include the prices (or NFS) on the painting labels and promote the online store. WSI will promote sales through the website and WSI’s social media. Each artist is also encouraged to promote the sale of their paintings by directing people to the Online Store. The artists are not responsible for sales tax. The artist receives a 70% commission on the sale. The buyer has permission to pick up the painting on October 1 with ID.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
If an entrant receives $600 or more in sales and/or awards per year from WSI, the entrant agrees to provide Form W9 to the WSI office upon request and will receive a 1099 for 2023.
If an accepted painting is shipped instead of delivered in person, it must be crated and delivered to the WSI office by 5:00 pm Friday, June 30, 2023. The WSI office will return unsold paintings in the same packaging in which they were received. The artist must set up an account with FedEx or UPS so that all shipping costs are prepaid. The artist will also be charged a $60 handling and transport fee. If you have a question, please contact the WSI office at (317) 500-2275.
Watercolor Society of Indiana, Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields and transporters will exercise diligent and reasonable care, but they will not be responsible for any loss or damage to any work. Broken glass must be replaced by the artist. By signing the entry forms, the artist assumes all risks. If you are concerned about the risk of loss or damage, we suggest you insure your painting.
Contact information for each representative and a copy of the Area Rep Maps is available on the WSI Board of Directors Page.• Area 1 - Open
• Area 2 - John Kelty
• Area 3 - Daniel Driggs
• Area 4 - Sheryl Thurston
• Area 5 - Tanya Roberts
• Area 6 - Tanya Roberts
• Area 7 - Shirley Woolard
• Area 8 - Bev Mathis
• Area 9 - Sandy Hall
• Area 10 - Nancy Rairdon
• Area 11 - Debi Black
Details on frame hangers:
More details on the museum's hangers can be found HERE.
Please contact Juried Exhibit Chair Tim Lewis or the Executive Director Tanya Roberts with questions via the Membership Directory at www.watercolorsocietyofindiana.org/Member-Directory